Scheduled hours up to 30 hr/week are available (7a to 1p and 6p to 12m), with the option to pick up extra hours that meet your personal schedule.
After initial training, Captioning Assistants working night and weekend shifts receive a starting wage of $12.70 per hour and are eligible for salary increases twice a year.
Using a voice-recognition application, Captioning Assistants provide quick and accurate captions for telephone conversations of deaf or hard of hearing callers. To watch a video showing a Captioning Assistant and CapTel phone in action, please click here.
In this role, you will:
- Multi-task (hear audio, voice what was heard, proof-read developing captions - simultaneously)
- Utilize keyboard by typing proper corrections and other words as necessary
- Monitor technical issues on calls and report to appropriate staff
- Relay contents of the call as accurately as possible without intervening in the conversation
- Maintain strict consumer confidentiality and professionalism
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least 18 years of age or older
- Typing skills of at least 35 words per minute with a low error rate
- Want to practice your typing speed before you apply? Click here and try the 3 minute typing test
- Excellent reading, vocabulary and spelling skills
- Ability to work various shifts, both overnight and on weekends
- Experience working in a call center or providing customer service in a retail or similar environment (preferred)
CSD offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees. For a full list of benefits and perks, please visit the career page.
Communication Service for the Deaf, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer and drug free and tobacco free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.